How To / FAQ
Jackson Township Police Department
The Jackson Township Police Department was created by ordinance in 1946 with resident Jerry Showell being named as Chief of Police. At this time, the department consisted of Chief Showell and a few part-time police officers. However, prior to 1946, Jackson Township records show that since the early 1920’s the Township Committee appointed various part-time police officers, including Police Chief Frank Booth. Due to their part-time status, there was no organized full time police force until August 1946 whereupon Showell was named Chief and Gus Crist was also named as a full time police officer. Officer Crist later left the department and was replaced by Ted Kolendorski. During which time the residents had to rely on the services of the New Jersey State Police.
In April of 1953, seven additional special police officers were hired by the township to assist Chief Showell and the NJSP. Each officer would receive $1.25 hr while working for the township as a special police officer. Sadly, during the first week of August 1962, Chief Showell drowned in a fishing accident in the Barnegat Bay. Two weeks later, with the continued growth in the eastern portion of the town, the municipality needed to increase the size of the force and three active police specials were appointed as full-time police officers, Acting Chief Walter McCurdy, Ronald Schoonover and Borden Applegate, Jr.
Chief of Police
- Stop Online Bullying
- Safety tips for families whose children use online services.
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC)
- Know the Bear Facts
- "If You See Something, Say Something"
- Bicycle/Helmet Safety and the Law
- Graduate Driver License (GDL) FAQ
- GDL Decal
- GDL Palm Card
- Safety Tips
- Parent Resources
- Services Offered
- Lost, Stolen, Damaged Property Self Report
- "Cryptolocker" Latest Malware